Analytics

Monday, May 23, 2016

Bronx Lebanon Hospital

         My weekend:
Emergency room on Saturday 11:30 AM.  

24 hours later I was still there. 

On Sunday at approximately 1230pm the nursing supervisor attending physician asked patient Torres and myself if we would relocate to the floor which we would be admitted. We were told that as soon as rooms were cleaned we would be moved into those rooms.  When I arrived on the 10th floor, the nursing staff wanted to confirm that I had been told that I’d be in the hallway and that I would stills have to wait until Monday before a room would be available.  I strongly protested and asked to be discharged on the spot because I would not wait in another opened area where I was unable to sleep for an additional  24 hours. The nursing supervisor for the 10th floor was then enlisted to help persuade me to stay. I still insisted to be discharged. She then asked resident Daniel Sheik to assure me that it would not be the next day. I agreed to wait 6 hours. However, two hours later I discovered that three patients were waiting for two beds. I was the last to arrive on the unit. 

Patient Torres and myself were asked to relocate for one reason:  the ED was in violation of the fire safety regulations regarding occupants. Yet, they moved us into the hallways of the 10th floor, still a fire safety violation in case of evacuation. So what problem did they really solve?

When I confronted the resident about his blatant lie, his response was “ I was going to give the room to you.”

After realizing that I'd been lied to by the ER department and a resident, I found anything the staff had to say as suspect at the very least.  While on the unit I had to use bathrooms that belonged to patients whom had been admitted, I still hadn't completed the admission process. I could have been exposed to an illness or vice versa.  I was horrified because I got the impression that what happened was common place. But to top it all off I was then threatened with being discharged with “against medical advice.”  Somehow, I think staying would have been more harmful.  In this case, common sense prevailed without the need for advice. 

When lied to by “medical” professionals, run, don't walk. 

No comments:

Post a Comment